Is there really a “best” time of year to move? Or does it just come down to personal preference? From autumn’s great real estate prices to winter’s affordable moving rates and spring’s tolerable temperatures to summer’s long, well-lit days, each season has its own unique moving benefits. But each season has its drawbacks, too.
At Ace Moving & Warehousing, we understand that the timing of your relocation relies on a variety of factors, and not all of them are tied to personal preference. That said, weighing the pros and cons of moving during each season can help you determine which time of year is ideal for your relocation. Below, we’ve outlined both the advantages and drawbacks of each moving season to help you settle on a time of year that works for you.
Moving in Spring: Pros and Cons
Thinking about a spring relocation? Consider these pros and cons before you make the move:
● Pros of moving in spring. The months of March and April, along with the early part of May, lead up to peak moving season, which means the demand for professional movers and packers is considerably lower. Decreased demand means hiring a moving company will be cheaper; plus, you’ll probably get your first choice of movers. Furthermore, though spring weather conditions vary from region to region, most areas experience mild temperatures, which help make moving a comfortable experience.
● Cons of moving in spring. If you choose to relocate toward the middle or end of May, your teetering on peak moving season, which can make finding a reputable moving company more challenging (and expensive!). Plus, families with children may find it difficult to move during spring since the school year is winding to a close. Final exams and year-end activities typically occur toward the end of spring, so if you have kids, you’ll need to consider how they feel about checking out early, too.
Moving in Summer: Pros and Cons
How does moving during summer compare to relocating during other seasons of the year? Consider these advantages and disadvantages:
● Advantages of summer moving. Real estate sales peak in summer, so if you’re planning to sell a home before you move, the latter part of May, along with June, July, and August are great months to plan a move. Families with children will also find that a summer move allows a considerable amount of flexibility since school is not in session. And finally, long, well-lit summer days allow ample time to pack and transport belongings, an especially important consideration for those conducting DIY relocations.
● Disadvantages of summer moving. The primary drawback of moving during the summer months is the high cost of hiring professional moving companies. Since approximately 70% of all relocations occur between Memorial Day and Labor Day, rates for movers and packers are almost always more expensive throughout that time period. Hot, humid outdoor conditions present another challenge for summer relocators since high temperatures can make packing and loading quite taxing. Worse, extreme weather conditions can result in heat exhaustion unless the appropriate precautions are taken.
Moving in the Fall: Pros and Cons
Is Autumn the best time to relocate? Perhaps. Consider the following pros and cons of moving during the fall:
● Pros of moving in the fall. During the months of September, October, and November, weather conditions are relatively mild and daytime temperatures are far more tolerable than in summer, making fall an excellent time to move. Even better, the demand for movers and packers decreases during this time, which makes it easier to hire the company of one’s choosing and lock in preferred time slots. If you’re planning to purchase a new home, the housing market typically slows down during the fall months as well, which means you may be able to score a better deal on a home — who wouldn’t appreciate that?
● Cons of moving in the fall. The primary drawback of moving during the fall months is the start of the new school year. For families with children, conducting a fall relocation may not be ideal, especially if the move requires changing schools.
Moving in Winter: Pros and Cons
Should you move during winter? While most people immediately assume a winter move is far from ideal, winter relocations actually offer a few distinct benefits you won’t get during any other time of year. Consider the following advantages and drawbacks:
● Advantages of moving during winter. Not a lot of people move during the winter, which means the demand for professional movers and packers decreases considerably during this time. As a result, hiring a moving company during the winter months can save you a sizeable chunk of change since moving rates typically fluctuate according to consumer demand. Even better, because demand is low, moving companies are better able to meet your scheduling needs.
● Disadvantages of moving during winter. The primary drawback of moving during winter is the frigid temperature and less-than-optimal weather conditions. Driving during the winter presents an increased hazard, and packing and loading belongings can be an uncomfortable experience in such low temperatures. Extra precautions must also be taken during a winter move, such as waterproofing boxes and de-icing walkways to ensure safety.
So What Season Is the Best Time to Move?
Ultimately, the best season for your relocation depends on several factors, including your moving budget, personal preference, and individual needs. If you’re looking to save money, scheduling a move during late fall, winter, or early spring is ideal. If, on the other hand, you have kids in school, a summer move may be your only feasible option. Regardless of the season you choose, it’s a good idea to opt for a weekday move since roadways will be less crowded and moving companies typically have less availability on the weekends.
Looking for a Reputable Moving Company? Trust Ace Moving & Warehousing With Your Move
When you’re planning a move and need a team you can trust, get in touch with our team at Ace Moving & Warehousing! For over 60 years, we’ve proudly serviced Twin Cities residents with an extensive variety of moving services, including storage solutions, full packing services, custom crating, move plans, and more. We also specialize in local, intrastate, interstate, and international moves, so no matter where your new home is, we’re here to get your belongings there safely.
To learn more about our services or request a fast moving quote, feel free to give our office a call today at 763-755-2046 or connect with us online, and we’ll get back to you promptly.