Whether you’re just itching for new scenery and adventure or you’re relocating for professional reasons, making a solo move to a new city can be super exciting! But it can also be downright stressful, overwhelming, and even confusing without the right plan in place.
At Ace Moving & Warehousing, we understand conducting a solo relocation is a difficult task, and that’s why we’re here to help. In this blog, we outline 4 things solo relocators must do to ensure a successful move — and as always, our team is just a call away if you need help!
1. Research Your New City Thoroughly
First and foremost: Make sure you do your homework before moving to a new city! No matter where you’re moving — whether it’s 20 miles away or 2,000 — it’s important to get a feel for your new city before you arrive. Here are a few research must-dos to get you started:
● Visit the city to get an idea of which places are safe to live.
● Read local newspapers, magazines, websites, and other media sources for more information about the city.
● Browse real estate sites for suitable rentals or for-sale properties.
2. Determine a Moving Budget (and a Day-to-Day Budget)
Moving can get expensive in a hurry, especially when you don’t have anyone to help shoulder the costs. That’s where setting up a moving budget comes in. If you’re planning to hire a moving company to help you relocate (highly recommended), you’ll need to know what you can afford to spend, since that figure will determine which companies you can hire. Here’s how to go about setting up that budget:
● Decide what to keep and what to toss. Taking a household inventory will help you determine how big of a truck you’ll need; how many movers and packers you’ll require; and how much packing material you’ll need to protect your belongings.
● Research moving companies. Try to get moving quotes from at least three moving companies. It’s best not to opt for the cheapest quote since you’ll likely get what you pay for; however, you should make your final decision based on the company’s reputation, its service offerings, and of course, your budget.
● Decide which season you plan to move. Moving company rates fluctuate depending on consumer demand, which means prices during peak moving season (summer) are always more expensive than during fall, winter, or spring. If you’re looking to save on costs, try to move during the off-season.
● Plan an emergency fund. Unexpected expenses almost always surface during a solo move, so you’ll need to plan for those. Start socking away emergency cash as soon as you know you’ll be moving.
● Plan for additional expenses. Beyond emergency expenses, you’ll likely also encounter other expenses beyond the cost of the moving company. Since professional movers and packers won’t move plants, pets, and a variety of other items, if you have those things, you’ll need to arrange (and pay for) their separate transportation. If you’ll be taking days off work to conduct the move, you should also factor any projected income loss into your moving budget.
3. Connect With Any Acquaintances In Your New City
If you have any friends or relatives in your new city, let them know you’re moving! Connecting with your acquaintances early on will alert them to the fact that you may need some assistance when you arrive at your new place. And if you do end up needing to reach out for a hand or two, you won’t catch anyone off guard.
4. Pack and Purge
If you’re hiring a moving company to assist with your relocation, you can skip the packing part; your movers and packers will take care of the entire process for you. However, before your movers arrive, it’s always a good idea to get rid of any items you no longer use, need, or want.
Transporting belongings you don’t really need only leaves you with more stuff to unpack when you arrive at your new home — why make more work for yourself? Once you determine what stays and what goes, you can donate to a local shelter, sell your unneeded belongings online, or even have a garage sale to earn some extra cash.
Ace Moving & Warehousing: Your Twin Cities Source for Comprehensive Moving Services
If you’re planning a solo move and need some help, get in touch with our team at Ace Moving & Warehousing! We offer an extensive variety of professional moving services to facilitate solo relocations, including full packing services, storage solutions, move plans, custom crating, and appliance moving, among others. And with over 60 years of experience, you can trust our expert team to take the best possible care of your belongings. To learn more about our services or request a fast moving quote, feel free to give our Minneapolis office a call at 763-755-2045 or send us a message, and we’ll get back to you promptly.